Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Wait, Why Do You Divide by 3 Again?


If there's one thing that I've learned within my first month of teaching, it's that I can no longer be comfortable thinking from the perspective of an adult within the classroom. Time and time again, I've caught myself assuming that my students know more than they actually do (when doing a math problem, for example), only leaving me frustrated because too many confused 4th graders are running towards me, pleading for my assistance.

Perhaps you're reading this and thinking, "well no kidding, Melissa, you are teaching 4th grade! You have to think like a kid!" The concept, however, is easier to "understand" than to actually follow. Try teaching a lesson on finding an average or dividing with remainders! What's the easiest way to to split 25 into 4 groups? Using manipulative's? A multiplication chart? Using a multiply, subtraction, check method? It's easier said than done!

I've learned that it's important that children, regardless of age, are given explicit, clear directions and are taught detailed steps to solve a problem or to complete a task. I've had to accept that I'm going to spend a lot of time giving directions...over and over. Not only do I have to repeat myself several times without loosing patience, I have to remember to truly think like a 4th grader when creating my directions and steps! I never thought I'd admit that it's difficult to think like a kid again!

1 comment:

Betty said...

While doing research for strengths finder tools for children, I found your blog - very interesting. I love your comments about how to interact with children - so important. I taught for 20+ years and now have developed a product (along with my business partner) to help children discover their own God-given strengths.
I bet you're a great teacher! I'll be a regular visitor to your blog.
Betty