Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Melissa's Urgent Wedding

One of the greatest rewards of being a teacher is that you'll never know what sorts of surprises your students will "walk in" with each morning! Although only November, my students have flabbergasted me by giving me Eagles blankets, stuffed animals, crackers, apples, jackets, pencils, highlighters, bracelets, etc., etc., etc. (And no, I did not keep all of these things...the jacket was too small!)

It's so interesting how willing these children are to show their love by acts of service, or giving, to me! I always find myself reflecting upon it, and thanking God for reminding me of childlike faith and childlike (genuine) love through them. Humorously though, I even find myself arguing with them sometimes, such as in today's morning conversation:


Teacher: "No, no, YOU keep your sweater, it's yours!"
Student: "...but I want you to have it."
Teacher: "No, really, I appreciate your gift and your kind heart, but that's for you!"
Student: "...but I have more like it at home."

I wouldn't be a teacher, however, if I didn't admit that some of my favorite gifts are those that are academically related to the content that we're studying in school. One of my students in particular often uses her vocabulary words to write very clever stories. I couldn't resist the opportunity to share this one. (The bold words are the vocabulary words that she included.) Enjoy!

Melissa's Urgent Wedding

One day Melissa was rehearsing her play of Romeo and Juliet. Her brother was knocking on the door. He said the neighbor's house was burning down! She grabbed her purse and ran. While she was there she saw a boy. She noticed that he was in her science class. The next day she had to partner up with him. While they were researching, he asked her out. She said yes. On their date he gave her a pearl necklace. On their 4th date, he proposed to her. On their wedding day she got married in a lavender dress. Her hair was curly. When they were getting married she hurried and said yes. On their honeymoon there was new furniture and a baby turtle. On the walls there was a painted mural. They were happy about what got them together.


1 comment:

MamaJ said...

OMG that is too cute!