Monday, March 9, 2009

Teaching Moment

I walked out of my student teaching classroom Friday positive that "public school teaching wasn't my gig."

My students were complaining, whining, and making it obvious that they wanted nothing to do with three tests we were scheduled to take during our language arts period. After having at least a dozen students talk back to me, handing out more than my comfortable "two" demerits (a disciplinary consequence-I'm a whimp), and feeling as if I were talking-and teaching-to the walls, I was nearly in tears.

I came home and slept for three hours.

On a Friday night.

Lame.

Thus, I wasn't shocked when admist performing a drama on stage for children's ministry on Sunday morning (one of my favorite things to do), when asked how my student teaching experience was coming along, I easily answered, "fine...ok. I definitely don't think I'm meant to teach in school."

Little did I know then that Monday would be such a great day.

What a change.

Children are so bizarre. They can hate you one minute-and then the next, be laughing right alongside you. I don't understand them. I was convinced that all of my students hated school on Friday, yet today, I was blown away by how incredible their behavior, interest, and cooperation was.

Even while teaching a terribly difficult geometry lesson (which included over three pages of overhead notes), they were patient, on-task, and enthusiastic to participate. I found myself enjoying "making learning fun" for them-using them as manipulatives, pointing out parallel and perpendicular objects in the classroom, etc.

In fact, I was so impressed by their behavior that I introduced them to a fun "high 5 game" that I learned during educational theatre. Note: 5th grade is the PERFECT age to play the "high 5 game." My teacher was even impressed and thanked me for teaching her a new game!

After the game, the students were able to calm down, jump right back on task, and even partipciated MORE than in the previous math lesson! I was overjoyed to find that mixing in a little 'fun" transition time for the kids (especially for kids that don't have recess) promoted their attitude towards learning.

"See, I can do this," I thought.

A few hours later, I was reading one of my cooperating teacher's comments in my response journal. She wrote, "You will make a fabulous teacher. I would be honored to have you teach on our (5th grade) team."

Today was a good day. In addition to the above, I received an "A" for my first placement grade and was asked by another faculty member if I was planning to apply to work for the school. (I was already asked by the principal and have prepared my resume and cover letter.)

So, am I really "not meant to teach in school?"

Back to square one?

Oh, the possibilities.

Oh well, I'd rather have too many options than none at all. :)

2 comments:

Adam Flora said...

You are a great inspiration to me! Keep blogging!

Unknown said...

Just keep on plugging away and you will figure it out - I am very confident that you will make an awesome teacher!!!