Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Urban Education


I've just completed my first official week of student teaching.

Well, I suppose I shouldn't say "official." I did have a snow day on my "official" start day.


Regardless, I feel as if I've been student teaching for a month.

Let me share some of my initial thoughts with ya'll.

By special request, I've been placed in a local inner-city urban school. The school is one of fourteen elementary schools in the district. By the time students advance to the district high school, they are 1 of 5,000 students. (That's more than twice my college population!) The school population is heavily diverse; African American, Latino, or Caucasian, etc. In fact, many students move from Puerto Rico, the Dominican, or Mexico to this city specifically for employment purposes! Most of the classes in the school have between 20-25 students, and most of the teachers are Caucasian females. I believe there are about 5 or 6 male teachers.

Beyond the general demographics of the school population, certain details pertaining to the specific culture of inner city education may shock you. With the exception of the 6th grade “magnet schools," no students in the entire district are bussed to their respective schools. Even in elementary schools, the majority of students walk to school. These students arrive at school at 8:30am and are not dismissed until 3:10pm without a single break from doing school-work. Because of wavering PSSA scores, administrators have cut recess from students' schedules to allow for more curriculum, teaching, and PSSA preparation time. Certain subjects such as science and social studies are sacrificed in lieu of preparing students for reading and math proficiency. Students are required to complete daily PSSA computer prep, while some participate after-school in additional PSSA preparation.

In this city, students are used to change. Due to rent payments, monetary issues, or other related causes, families will often move to different parts of the city. Thus, it is not uncommon for students to miss school for several days (or sometimes) weeks in a row! Even more, it is not uncommon for students to change elementary schools mid-year or for students to have attended 3-4 different elementary schools before their fourth-grade year. My cooperating teacher told me a story about how one year she had a class of 28 students, and by the end of her school year, only 8 of those 28 students were her original students assigned in September of that school year.

“Melissa, welcome to inner-city education.”

In the week that I’ve shadowed my cooperating teacher, I’ve gained knowledge about the frustrations, discouragements, and challenges of inner-city education. I’ve watch teachers cry over low PSSA scores and burnt-out teachers scream in frustration. I’ve gained knowledge of the hindrance of uncooperative and apathetic students and parents, language barriers, inadequate funding, inopportune resources, lack of budgeting, etc.

The teachers on my team laugh because of how I’ve been “tainted” by this experience.

And so, you’re probably wondering, when will I be running away screaming?

If I plan to stay in education, that’ll be…


Right around…


Never.


Despite the horror stories, the language barriers, the inadequate funding, inopportune resources, lack of budgeting, etc. I could a more desirable environment in which to teach.

With each new challenge that is presented before me, I’m encouraged and inspired to teach in this particular city. I’ve asked the teachers to tell me as much as possible about the reality of their jobs. I’ve told the teachers that I won’t be scared by anything they have to share. If I pursue education, I will teach in an urban environment.


I will help reveal to these students that they are valuable.


That they are loved.


And that they have purpose.


“She’s so naïve,” they think.


Perhaps. I mean, I do think that I can make a difference in the lives of many.


Challenges won’t stop that.


After all, why choose to be cynical about a passion to love others?

2 comments:

Adam Flora said...

I'm very proud of you Melissa. All of my biases aside. You are an incredible individual with a huge heart. The sky is the limit...

MamaJ said...

Melissa, you are amazing...you are following your passion. Keep doing what you feel He is guiding you to do. I know that God is guiding you, and just follow Him. He will take you where He WANTS YOU TO GO...Just follow where He takes you. He has big plans for you!
I love you,
Mom