Monday, February 23, 2009

Teaching Frustrations.

Today in the realm of student teaching, my responsibilities have increased immensely. I now teach Reading Acceleration, Math, Writing Acceleration, Reading, and Language Arts. Although one may think I'm excited to finally experience a realistic teaching role, I've contained some thoughts that make me think otherwise.

Take a look.


Some of the things that frustrate me about teaching include:
  1. The amount of paper that is wasted on worksheets throughout the day.
  2. The amount of time that goes into preparing a lesson that only gets 10 minutes attention in class (and then is thrown out afterwards). It reminds me of taking thirty minutes to wrap a Christmas present only so it can be torn in thirty seconds the next morning.
  3. Feeling like I need to babysit children all day long just so to make sure they don't call each other "stupid."
  4. How you can look for a resource for hours and still find nothing. What a waste of time! I totally could be investing in wedding planning during those hours.
  5. How ridiculously tired and exhausted I feel at 5pm. I thought I was 22, not 122.
  6. Not feeling as if I have time to enjoy time with my friends (or for myself) because I'm constantly typing up lesson plans that also waste paper and time. Don't school districts understand anything about "going green?"
  7. The fear that at the age of 22 I will soon sound like a 60 year old woman who's been smoking for 40 years because of the number of times I need to raise my voice.
  8. Being afraid to wake up from a nap from 5:30pm-7:30pm because I know that when I awake, I'll be 12 hours closer to Tuesday morning, trapped in a school from 8am-4pm.
  9. This nagging feeling that I can't be my whole self in the classroom. I'd rather be dancing and singing on a stage any day than standing in front of a classroom counting down to from 3 to gather students' attention.
  10. Feeling as if a passion that I've held since I've been 5 years old is dying inside of me.
Thank God for a gift in public speaking.

No comments: