Monday, June 15, 2009

First Speaking Weekend!

My voice is soar and I'm exhausted, but boy, has this past weekend been a joy!


For four services (two on Saturday night and two on Sunday morning), I taught the message in the 2nd/3rd grade classroom. (Classroom is an understatement, these rooms are MASSIVE!)

Needless to say, it was a refreshing experience. I was reminded all over again how passionate I am about speaking, and how God's gifted me with energy-especially energy to relate to children.

Before speaking, I pried around the children's department at CCV to get a better understand of the history of women's speakers for large group. History: there is none, at least for the past few years. All of the "pastors" in children's ministry from 2nd-6th grade are men, and as far as the teaching rotation, I was told that there have been no women who have voiced a desire to teach. "Perhaps women feel inadequate of teaching at that level or feel that they're too much of a mom to relate to the students in large group," one woman shared with me. "Nonetheless, besides an intern or two, there hasn't really been any women teaching on stage."


Interesting.

When I stepped into the run-through rehearsal, I was not alone as a "newbie" for speaking. That weekend, two other male speakers, one for 4th/5th grade and one for 6th grade were also speaking for the first times. Although I was a bit comforted by the company, I couldn't ignore the nerves that I felt for speaking at a new place, to a new crowd, with new expectations, regulations, and procedures.


Nerves? Me?


Not for long.

Some favorite feedback, conversations, and memories included:


1. Receiving positive commentary from the children's staff during run-through. I was told that for my first time, I did a great job. Even better, afterward, I was able to collect some tips from some of the male pastors and programming team, which helped me animate my stories even more. After speaking with the staff, I was encouraged and inspired to be goofy with the lesson so to connect with the kids while having killer teaching moments.

2. Receiving a number of positive comments from students, "You were awesome!" or "You're so funny!" or "Are you really from Pennsylvania?" Even some of the little boys wanted to give me high-fives! (I'm always touched when boys can enjoy my teaching, too. That way I'm comforted that I can connect with both genders!)

3. Having a mom approach me to ask, "Are you the young girl who taught for the 2nd/3rd grade services this weekend? My high school boy volunteers in that room and he told me that a 'young girl taught today. She was really good and really funny. She did a great job!'" (Best of all, this boy told his mom that he thought that I was in high school, too! No matter, any time that I can connect with a high school boy during a children's class is a success to me!)


Needless to say, I'm extremely excited to speak again for both the 4th/5th grade services and the 6th grade services. I am so grateful for the staff that is investing in us interns so that we can better share the gospel. There are so many people here that are skilled speakers and teachers; it's so inspiring! I can't wait to spend some more time with these gifted people to continue learning.

Below are two more pictures of the children's building (3yrs-6th grade). I apologize for not posting these earlier! More pictures to come!

2 comments:

Tim said...

so, 'are you really from Pennsylvania?' is a complement in Arizona? What's up w/ that?! ;-)

Melissa: said...

Yea, people are fascinated that we're from the east coast!