Saturday, June 6, 2009

UCYC Camp

This past week, after the craze of driving and flying back and forth between Arizona and Pennsylvania for a very important retreat, graduation, and wedding, Adam and I finally returned back to Phoenix at 11pm (2am Eastern-Standard time) Sunday, May 31st.

Needless to say, we were exhausted.

And at 9:15am that Monday morning, I left for UCYC, United Christian Youth Camp, the camp every 4th-6th grader at CCV in Arizona was talking about.
No break for me, not quite yet.

Quickly immersing myself in the 4th-6th grade culture, I enjoyed getting to know both the students and their counselors! We'd wake up early and stay up late to "do hair," share stories, and reveal interesting facts about ourselves. We particpated in everything from rock climbing, zip lining, and field games to hiking, swimming, and "geo cache"ing. The girls were completely thrilled that I was engaged, and asked me every question in the book! (This seems to always be a common theme.) Beyond the "fun" time, however, some of my favorite memories, take-away moments, and reflections came from the Chapel services and small group times. It was incredible how much information the students learned about Jesus in a manner that captured their inquisitive minds.

A small list of my favorite moments at camp included:

1. Watching the 5th and 6th grade boys worship.
5th and 6th grade boys don't worship. They're too cool. They're always the kids standing in the back of the room with a scowl on their face and their arms crosssed. Not this time. I watched these boys worship: genuinely dancing, shouting, lifting their hands up in praise to their God. It was beautiful. (Although I'd never mention that to them!)

2. Watching kids grow, in even just a matter of days.
I remember meeting this one girl (I'll call her Jamie) in the beginning of the week. Jamie was shy, quiet, and kept to herself. She was the type of girl that excused herself from activities and drug along other girls with her. By the end of the week, Jamie had asked me to "do her hair," and today, while at church, she ran up to me, jumped into my arms, and gave me a huge hug. What an accomplishment, I thought.

3. Watching Reggie Rice (my children's ministry supervisor at CCV) teach the kids about Jesus.
Talk about a gift. I never before thought it was possible-or even a good idea-to preach to children about Jesus before I listened to Reggie. I never before saw hundreds of kids take out their Bibles to follow along with the Biblical passages. I never before watched the story of Jesus become more alive, more animated, or more interesting to kids-and me! I am so excited to learn everything I possibly can here.

Two major take-away that I had from camp included:

1. 4th-6th graders ask some great questions about God-if you give them the chance.
I've never before had an opportunity to sit one-on-one with a 10 or 11 year old to ask them questions about God. Wow, do they understand some things. Wow, do they have questions about some things. Wow, are they so willing to listen and learn. One thing I love about this children's ministry is that they have big expectations for the growth of their children. Stories and sugarcoated and questions aren't ignored. A lot is expected from an eleven year old.

2. A sucessful ministry involves leaders who are dedicated to spiritual journies of their volunteers.
I am so impressed by CCV's leadership. Each morning, before our chapel services and activities commenced, CCV pastors would host a counselor meeting where we were encouraged to immerse ourselves into the Word and prayer that day. We read scripture together, and shared stories of praise to encourage one another. We were reminded that if we were not to spend time with God, our "spiritual tanks" would be empty, with nothing to share with the students.

Upon "debriefing" about camp, a few reflections inclulde:

1. God's gifted me with incredible enthusiasm and energy, and I can't ignore that.
At age 22, I have the energy of an 11 year old. I can keep with their pace, laugh at their jokes, and celebrate life with them. I never realized how much natural talent is required in relating to kids. Working with kids requires a true gift, and I think I've got it!

2. It's really easy for me to talk to kids.
"What do you think about God?" may often seem like an akward question to be asked, but with 4th-6th graders, I have no fear in talking to them about their faith! It may seem odd to think that one could engage in a spiritual conversation with a 10 year old, but so often this week did I find times when I chatted one-on-one with students about many topics, including faith. The conversations seemed so natural, not forced, and even more, kids didn't hesitate to share facts with me; stories about parents divorcing, broken friendships, the loss of a sister...
"Are these conversations really happening?" I thought. They haven't stopped yet.


3. I deeply desire to communicate to people about Jesus.
While listening to Reggie turn Bible passages into fantastic stories, I couldn't ignore the passion stirring inside of me, wanting to do the same. Although I may not be confident in my "Bible knowledge," I am sure that I desire to communicate the stories of Jesus and other Bible characters so that people of any age can better understand, relate, and remember the gospel.


After my first weekend experience, I'll finally get the chance to start in the office this week. With camp "under my belt," I'm anxious to get started.I have the feeling that I'm going to be learning a lot here at CCV, and I'm just getting started!

No comments: