Monday, June 23, 2008

Responsibilities

I love Mondays.

I know, it's not too often that someone will admit that she loves Mondays. For most, Mondays symbolize the start of a new week at work or at school; the day of the week that is least fun.

Not the case at CCV. Mondays are off days, and after days like Sundays, Mondays are awesome.

For the past few weeks, my Mondays have consisted of 1) sleeping in as late as possible, 2)squaring away my financial business, laundry, and schedule for the week, 3) reading by the pool deck, and 4) finding ways to spend evening time with my parents and brothers.

Mondays keep me sane. Mondays allow me time to think. Mondays help me to unwind.

Today, I spent much of my Monday doing #2 "squaring away my financial business." Knowing that I had to update my budget, I spent more time than I'm willing to admit between my Microsoft Excel worksheets and Wachovia's online banking pages. Money here-money there-responsibility, responsibility, responsibility. What is it about responsibilities that make life seem so...heavy?

"If I only hadn't gone on that Mexico trip," I thought, "I wouldn't be paying back my first credit card payment. If I had only watched how much money I was using while at school, I wouldn't have to start my summer savings at zero. If only I had paid more attention to my financial aid and savings options, I wouldn't have loans to pay back-that I didn't even realize I had!"

How do we find the balance between facing the responsibilities that life throws our way and wanting to live "spontaneously?" Will I ever feel like I'm not playing "catch up?"

See what happens when I allow myself time to think and unwind? These are the questions that I think of! (No wonder I'm usually more comfortable just...doing.)

So, because I've forced myself to ponder some of these questions, I feel it is not fair to myself if I don't likewise take the time to process through some answers.

Here's what I came up with:

1) Having a written budget is a lot more important that I realized. It's also a lot EASIER than I realized, too! I wish I had known the benefits of having a written budget BEFORE I entered college. I DEFINITELY would have saved myself a lot more money if I realized how much I was spending on Chick Fil-A and DQ runs with my girls all the time!

2) I really love my parents.

3) Even though I look back now and wonder how I could have wasted so much money, there is no better way to learn. I learned today that If I had not chosen to attend CCV's Mexico mission trip in May, I would not have had to spend close to $350 on airline tickets, deposits, etc. If I hadn't attend the trip, I wouldn't have had 3 overdraft protection fees of over $50, my savings account wouldn't have dropped to zero, and I wouldn't have been charged $107 to a credit card that I forget I even owned. HOWEVER, without facing the facts of what that decision financially cost me (haha..cost, get it!?), I wouldn't have asked my boyfriend to help me design a budget and I wouldn't have FINALLY worked up the guts to talk to a financial manager at Wachovia about how to appropriate use (and pay) for payments using my credit card. (You see, I bought a credit card 2 YEARS ago to try and become "responsible with credit," but have been too afraid to actually use it since then. Until today, even the security sticker remained on the card in the same pocket of my wallet.)

Most importantly though, I realized how essential it is to remember that responsibility (particularly financial responsibility) shouldn't dictate how much "fun" we have in our lives. I've gained far more from my experience in Mexico than just a financial revelation about how to manage my bank account. The memories that I have of midnight Sonic runs and Walmart scavenger hunts with my girlfriends are far more important than the $10 that was a part of that memory. I still plan to travel the world with my future husband, vacation every year with my future family, and spend days pampering myself and my friends when needed. (Note: Ice-cream is always needed!)


I've learned that I'll never allow money to stop me from the adventures that God lays ahead, God has far a far greater influence on my life than does money, and I always need to trust that God will provide...sometimes even in the form of a budget.

No comments: