Wednesday, September 17, 2008

MEET C4: Nadine Varty

She’s one of the primary reasons why I stayed at Albright, even after being unsure of my acceptance months into freshmen year. After meeting her through a women’s bible study group, she’s gone from an accepting friend with open arms to my roommate for the past two years.

Meet Nadine Varty.

One of the first and greatest memories that I share with Nadine occurred during a Friday night in Freshmen year. We both decided to attend on of the Domino Players’ productions that night and cap off our experience with the “classic” girly sleepover. After the show, we headed off to Wawa to get some snacks (I specifically remember grabbing some ice-cream) and lost track of time as we chatted into the night’s hours about our families, friends, and college experience. I remember waking up at noon the next morning (and Nadine explaining how that’s fairly common because of the lack of light that shines through the slit in the Walton basement window.) Since then, we’ve been attached at the hip. We’ve done all sorts of things from studying scripture together, praying for each other, supporting each other at events, staying in touch over the summer (and during Nadine’s study aboard to Scotland), and now, spending each day together as roommates!

Nadine Varty is certainly one special young woman. Grounded in her faith, she is one that has inspired my walk with Jesus. Nadine's life has been no "cake-walk," yet her struggles have only helped her grow stronger. Her love and mercy for others has opened my eyes to change my attitudes and treatment of others. Nadine’s stories of hope and joy gravitate me when I’m overwhelmed or overburdened. She is one who is always willing to help, listen, offer advice, and put herself before others. There has never been a time where I couldn’t feel comfortable turning to Nadine for a few comforting moments.

Some additional favorite characteristics that I love about Nadine include her sense of humor, kind-spirit, good intentions, dedication, levels of commitment, understanding of self, and priority of family and friends. Nadine’s joy for life shows her constant stride to learn about her identity in God, always thirsting for more and thoroughly enjoying those special moments of “God time” that she gets to share with her creator.

Nadine Varty, thank you for being such a wonderful best friend. You’ve helped me to understand the importance of friendship and the priority it holds in my life. You’ve been one of the greatest encouragers and a friend who’s always cheered for me. Nadine, it’s been such a joy to watch you grow over the past three and a half years, and looking back on my college experience, I look as our friendship as a fairy-tale. I know that our time together here is the just the start of a friendship that will carry us into Heaven.

Thank you for being all that a best friend can be.

I love you. :)

No comments: