Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Brotherly Love

When I was 14, I clearly remember my dad lecturing me about the importance of family.

"Remember, Melissa, " he said. "It is important to form solid relationships with your brothers now, because later on, they're most likely to be the ones that'll stick around."


Now, of course, at age 14, I thought my dad was a "weirdo" and I wanted nothing to do with the statement. Yet, I've never forgotten his words, and today, I greatly value the truth he spoke. I have three brothers, and each has their special gifts and talents. Justin is a superstar athlete who enjoys any challenge involving running and a ball, Thomas is an incredibly intelligent, genuine, caring pre-teen with passion and drive, and Johnny is a well-rounded, musically-gifted, skateboarding gooroo with a sense of humor like no other.

I love my brothers.





In fact, it was very difficult to separate from my brothers when going away to college.

I especially noticed my discomfort in not spending as much time with the oldest brother of the three, Johnny. (Okay, okay, so his name is John and he is nearly 20 years old, but I still can't help but call him Johnny!) There were very few times-if any at all-that Johnny and I were separated when growing up. Being that we both traveled back and forth together from our mom's house to our dad's house throughout the week and every-other weekend, he and I were the only ones who understood exactly what the other was going through when we complained about the hassle, hurt, and frustrations of having "two different houses, two different families, and two different sets of childhood rules."


This past Monday, I had the unique opportunity to work with my brother for the entire day building a quarter-pipe (a type of skateboarding ramp for all of those otherwise misled). The church asked my brother (who is a spectacular skateboarder, as noted above) and his friends to perform at STRETCH, the middle-school summer conference at Christ's Church of the Valley. When asked what the skating crew requested, Johnny stated, "a quarter pipe."




Despite the day's frustrations of realizing that Kidz Zone is NOT an ideal resource to build a REAL quarter-pipe ramp (one that does not require duct tape), riding in a pick-up truck with three boys, searching for wood and "Masonite" (not pronounced correctly EVER by myself), drawing an arch WAY more difficult than perceived, soaking plywood in the Perkiomen Creek, and realizing that lining up plywood perfectly is easier "said than done..."


::breathe::


...I could not have asked for a better day with my brother.



Spending time with him reminded me of just how special our friendship is to me. It reminded me of just how special he is to me, how much I miss him being in my life, and how much I wish I was more involved in his. After all, it was with Johnny who I used to make forts with in our bunked-bed bedroom, it was with Johnny who I used to go on backwards adventures with playing "Lost Kids," it was with Johnny that I had the courage to join soccer, baseball, and the karate; testing up through black belt together. It was with Johnny that I began coming to the high school youth group, Riot, at Christ's Church of the Valley, and it was with Johnny that I dedicated my life to Christ, on February 20, 2005.


I pray daily for my brother and his future. I pray that he will continue his walk with God, allowing God to lead him on a journey more incredible than he could ever imagine, I pray that he surrounds himself with people that love and care for him. I pray that he sets goals and aims for ambitions throughout his life, always pursing his passions and never allowing himself to fall short of any dreams.

I can't wait until the next time I get the opportunity to build with my brother. Whether tent, a quarter-pipe, or something bigger, building our memories is always my most favorite part.

Brotherly love.




2 comments:

MamaJ said...

OK now i'm sooooooooooooo crying!
I so very much miss all the closeness too
guess who?

MamaJ said...

I have to say that my heart weighs heavy reading about brotherly love...I am sorry for what you have had to go through in your young lives...it wasnt my choice... but life happens. I tried to stop it, but it wasnt meant to be. My heart has always been raw about what you both have had to go through.
I love you both, my daughter, my son, and I guess I feel that somehow I've failed you through your dad and I getting divorced.
For that I am truly sorry...I didnt intend it that way.