Wednesday, July 23, 2008

House-Sitting

There's this great job that's been invented ever since I've become a college-student attending Christ's Church of the Valley.


House-sitting.


That's right, house-sitting. It's a job that entails the responsibility of watching a family's house while they endeavor on vacation, business, etc. ensuring the safety of the family's home. Oh, and I guess if the family has pets, they might need a "watching-over" too.

Of course, pets.

I thought that was just called "pet watching?"

Anyway, house-sitting, pet-watching, name or no name, I LOVE IT!

As a 21-year-old college student preparing to enter into her final year of college and soon begin her very own life, if I could travel back in time and "redesign" my summer-stay, I would specifically schedule my summer so that I was house-sitting each week of the summer with a few "week vacations" staying at my parents' house.

Reason?

Privacy.

Silence.

Sanity-

Okay, okay, I'll stop there. I'm only joking about the last one. (It is not obvious that I just returned from a high-school retreat?) It is wonderful though to have both privacy and silence upon returning home from a hard day's work. I'm now realizing the uniqueness in that time. House-sitting allows for the perfect opportunities for those moments. It's an excuse to get away from the craziness (even that craziness that's sometimes in your own home), and find some hours for yourself.

Today when I returned to the current house that I'm house-sitting, I enjoyed throwing myself on the couch to enjoy Disney's latest "Camp Rock." As much as Myers Briggs will try and convince me that I get my energy from other people (I am a strong extrovert), I cannot deny the essential quiet time that is needed in my life to relax, reflect, and recharge. Whether that time be spent reading, sprawling myself across the couch and watching a short film, browsing the Internet, or simply using a few minutes-or hours-to visit the inside of my eyelids, I love my time.

It's actually addicting.

A few additional reasons to love house-sitting:

-You get paid to hang out in some one's home, eat their food, use their furniture, and play with their children's' toys. Did I mention I love Nintendo Wii?

-You can scope out potential set-ups for room designs, furniture, and home-decorating techniques for your future home.

-You can enjoy living on your own, like at college-without worrying how you're going to pay the rent or get the week's groceries!


Praise God for house-sitting opportunities so that I can learn all about the value of self-quality time...and prepare for my future!

1 comment:

robert said...

It's a great idea for the security of your house. I will also adopt it while leaving for my next family trip.