Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Kids Say the Darnest Things!


One of my favorite things about children's ministry is listening to kids' responses to questions.

Just two weeks ago, I was leading a small group for 2nd and 3rd graders, and just after talking about John 3:16, I asked if there were any questions. One girl raised her hand and asked, "Is Santa real?"

Below are a few answers to kids' responses that Jeri (the other children's intern) and I organized for a recent website update. Whereas I marvel at the complexity of some answers (these students are all in 6th grade), I can't help smile at the innocence and simplicity in others. I hope that you enjoy reading them as much as I did!

How has God changed your life?

  • God has changed my life. I got bit by a pit bull (Personally, I think this was the devil's work) But God saved me to where I only got 2 stitches on my face and about 3-4 cuts instead of ripping off my cheek.

  • I am not proud of a lot of the things I have done but God has helped me get over and helped clear all of my sins. If it wasn't for God I don't know if I would be here right now. If

  • I wasn't close to God I wouldn't have gotten this far in my life. God has saved me!

  • God has changed my life by giving me Melody, my 8 year old sister. I would have been a pretty boring kid if it weren't for God. He has brightened my life.

How have you seen God change someone else's life?

  • I have seen God change my dad's life so we can be a family now.

  • God changed my mom's life. She was smoking 3 packs a day.

  • Like I had a bully, he was mean to me. I told my teacher I needed to go to the bathroom. She said yes. When I was in the bathroom I didn't have to go but I prayed for him. When it was lunch he started to be nice and played basketball with me. To me that was kind of weird!

  • God changed my dad when God spoke to me and my mom. We kept on seeing scriptures on adoption. But when we told my dad he was very against it. So every night me and my mom prayed. One day my dad came home from work and filled out all the papers for the adoption.

What's the difference between someone who knows God and someone who doesn't know God?

  • The difference of someone knowing God and someone who doesn't know God is that if you know the Lord your life is complete. You know how to live your life and you know who loves you most. If you don't know God, your life is a whole question. Who created you? Who made this land? Who loves you most of all? You don't know how to take control. That's the difference!
  • People who don't know God have a hole in their heart. They don't have a meaning or purpose in life. They feel empty and end up doing wrong things to cover it up. People who do know God know why they were put in this world. They feel like their lives are important for God's work. They love life and they love Christ.
  • The difference is that non-believers cuss and they don't go to Heaven, and that is why He has us take them to church.

I wonder, what would your answers be to these three questions? Would they be as entertaining as a 6th grader's?

No comments: