Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Text Messaging Prayer Reminders?!

Over the past few months, I've been very particular when telling just anyone that I'll be praying for them whenever they share requests. As I've taken a true look at my prayer life, I've realized that I don't pray nearly half as much for people as I promise!

"Oh, I'm praying for you!" How many times have we all heard that? Has anyone else other than me ever wondered, "Now, do they really mean that? How often are they really praying? How can they remember?"

Unfortunately, I've become just a tad bitter to the idea of "praying for (so many) other people."

Until now.

Can I really get a text-message reminder to...pray?

I received an email today from one of the children's pastors at Christ's Church of the Valley here in Peoria. The emailed explained his similar frustration with not always being able to "keep his word" when promising to pray for others. he included a link to an interesting website that he found to help "organize" his prayers: Echo Prayer Manager.


The site, Echo Prayer Manager, does just that: manages your prayers. Upon signing up, one can "submit" multiple prayer requests and set reminder times (repeated on a weekly basis) so that reminders can be sent via email or text message throughout the day to better help one manage praying for multiple people and/or issues. One can even submit journals, comments, and "answered prayer" notes so that the reminders can change and/or stop.

As creator Ben Rugg describes on Echo Prayer's website, "It's pretty obvious the Bible calls us to pray for each other. James exhorts us to pray in all circumstances, Paul tells us to pray continually, and Jesus is an example even while he's on the cross (see James 5:13-18, 1 Thes 5:17, Luke 23:32-34). Echo is a tool to help you pray more diligently. Pray for your coworkers, your friends, your family, your church, your country, your issues. And thank God continually."

If you're interested, take a look at the website...and sign up! It's neat to think that such a resource exists to strengthen our walk with Christ. Ben Rugg, you have used certainly used your talents to glorify God! As Ruggs write, "Let's change the world. Let's pray for the people around us like we were meant to. And let's show the world that the one true God deserves all the glory."

2 comments:

gadfly1974 said...

Great link. Thanks for the tip!

Ben said...

Hi Melissa - I know this blog post is from almost 5 years ago, but I just wanted to share with you and your readers that we're about to launch a new version of Echo Prayer!

It's a free iPhone app with the same mission as the website - to help people organize their prayer lives and pray more effectively.

It will come out on June 10th, and you can get it or read more about it here: https://new.echoprayer.com

(If you'd like a pre-release version of it to try now, let me know!)