Monday, December 29, 2008

Christmas Time

With Christmas passed, the weekend over, and New Year's right around the corner, I've reluctantly accepted that my relaxing time with family, games, and lots of food is coming to a close. This Christmas has been one of the best that I can remember. Whether surprising both sets of parents with family photos, playing hours of the Wii with my brothers, or spending time surrounded by extended family and friends, I realize how very blessed I am.

One of my favorite memories this holiday came as a request that my mom had for one of her Christmas presents. Her desire was for us, as a family, to serve others somewhere on Christmas Eve. And so, Christmas Eve began with some exciting adventures as my mom, brother John, and I set off in the late morning to volunteer our time at Boyertown Salvation Army serving community members at the Christmas Eve dinner.




It was easy to sign up to serve. We simply contacted Boyertown Salvation Army, asked about opportunities, and were marked on a list to serve from 11am-2pm. The meal began at noon, in which many members from the congregation, elders, and friends gathered for a free dining experience. A youth lounge area was decorated with dozens of tables set for eight, placed with candy-cane goodies and holiday decor.

All the guests enjoyed themselves. And for us, the experience was unforgettable.

Although we felt a bit out of place at first because we had no idea what our roles were nor the people with whom we were serving, my family and I quickly hit it off connecting with others. I was pleased to chat with several people; one young woman who recently has graduated from college and now teaches in the elementary division, two people whom graduated from Eastern, a youth minister, one individual going to seminary, a student at PV West in the 7th grade (my brother Thomas's school and grade), and even a twenty-one year old girl from Malawi, Africa. I collected cards, names, exchanged stories, and even was extended a job opportunity!

In addition to connecting with the volunteers and staff members, I loved conversing with the community members who came to enjoy the meal. As I was "assigned" to offer drinks to people at their table, it came easy for me to begin conversation about simple things; sports, school, Christmas plans, etc.! Some of my favorite points of conversation were with some older gentleman about football, movie collections, and old television shows. One teenager girl explained to me her Christmas t-shirt of "I want a cute boy for Christmas." One older gentlemen even asked me where the wine was, since Jesus drank wine at his dinners!

People are incredible, aren't they?

It's so silly how I sometimes-often- so easily pass over the individuality and uniqueness each single person has to offer.

Come 2pm, my family and I were sad to say goodbye to our new found friends. We shouted that we hope to see everyone at the same time and place next year. I collected Mwai's full name so that we could become official facebook friends and keep in touch. Even my brother John (who usually lacks expression for most family outings) talked about interesting parts of his experience on the ride home.

I think our family's found a new Christmas tradition.
(At least I hope!)

It's so amazing how contributing even just a few hours around the holidays towards serving others can help remind you of Jesus's most important two commandments: to love God and to love others.
  • 29"The most important one," answered Jesus, "is this: 'Hear, O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is one. 30Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength. 31The second is this: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'There is no commandment greater than these." (Mark 12: 29-31)

Sometimes, it's so easy to get caught up in doing things for ourselves around the holidays, even if that just means "relaxing with family, games, and lots of food." Of course, so much importance lies in spending time with family. Yet, why not try some ways to spend time with family, whether immediate or extended, by serving others together? Find a way to make a tradition for loving others; whether it be around Christmas or year-round. You may be surprised at how close it draws your family together.

I've included a few sites below that are excellent sources for serving opportunities. Take a look!

1 comment:

MamaJ said...

Melissa,
This Holiday Season is one I will always remember...Starting a new tradition by servin...thank you for obliging my very important wish, and best Christmas gift ever...as well as the family picture with so much to remember packed into it! (Great Gift...and great family time) and for your focus on the importance of "family time" which made me feel so amazing as I shared my family time with you and Johnny, as well as with another very important family to me...the Floras. Thank you for all you do...You are truly one of God's little angels!
Live
Mom