Thursday, December 18, 2008

John 666: Don't Leave

That's the official name of this year's Pennsylvania Christian Teen Convention (PCTC) theme:


John 666: Don't Leave. The description given on the official PCTC website (mypctc.com) includes the following:
  • John 6:66-69 "From that time many of His disciples went back and walked with Him no more. 67 Then Jesus said to the twelve, "Do you also want to go away?" 68 But Simon Peter answered Him, "Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life. 69 "Also we have come to believe and know that You are the Christ, the Son of the living God."
  • John 6:66 represents the saddest verse in the Bible. Many who came to know Jesus decided that what He asked of them was to much to handle and the deserted Him, never to walk with Him again. The question Jesus has for us is the same one Jesus asked the 12 after the others left Him - will you also Go away?
PCTC has been a conference that the youth ministry at my church, Christ Church of the Valley, has been attending for years. Teenagers and youth leaders alike look forward to the wisdom and insight that is offered through speakers, worship, workshops, and bonding time. I attended my first conference as a student in my senior year of high school (2005) and have returned each year since as a youth leader for middle school girls.

I'm inspired and encouraged each year by the sermons, workshops, and themes that are addressed at PCTC. Oddly enough, every year without fail, I recall my heart burning with passion when listening to an inspirational man or woman talk to students about their journeys with Jesus. I often react by touching my chest and thinking, "Here comes that feeling again. I know I could do this one day."

Two years ago, after hearing a young woman deliver a phenomenal presentation to teenage girls about body image, I was hopeful that I, too, could perhaps speak at PCTC. I remember leaving the conference last year professing to my middle school girlfriends, "I'm doing it. I'm leading a workshop next year." Regardless of when or how it could happen, I knew it would be an incredible experience and opportunity to set a foot in the door for speaking engagements.

Just a few days ago, I contacted my old youth pastor, Matt Silver, who serves on the leadership board of PCTC. Remembering a conversation that we had a few years prior, I serenly asked him (via facebook, of course) if there was any chance that I could possibly lead a workshop; no expectations, of course. To my surprise, he immediately answered the message with contact information for someone further involved in the selection process; Greg Smedley! Greg told me he has "one last spot to fill" and informed me that if I fill out a leader questionnaire with some information about the workshop I'm hoping to lead, I should be good!

I couldn't believe it! What an opportunity! And to think, what if I didn't ask?

Needless to say, I'm busy praying and thinking over topics that are of student interest. I've got a few ideas in mind, some specifically for girls and one just for sponsors. I've thought about issues concerning sharing one's faith, gossip, identity, relationships, and building relationships with teenagers. I'll be hard at work next youth group time collecting answers from students. If any of you readers have ideas, I'd love for you to share them!

When thinking of this PCTC experience, I'm reminded of the verse in Ephesians 5:15-17 that reads, "Be very careful, then, how you live—not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the Lord's will is. "

I definitely want to make sure that I'm making the most of every opportunity as I'm searching for God's will for my life. I belive that one way of being wise is learning that it never hurts to ask about opportunities; after all, I'd rather risk asking "a silly question" than miss an opportunity that could lead to greater things. I think many would be surprised at just how many opportunities are waiting for people passionate enough to reach out.

I can't wait to explore what else is out there!


No comments: